Friday 14 October 2016

frilly flowers

Today's post is about a beading class we took at The Bead Shop Nottingham with guest tutor Kerrie Slade.  It took place during National Beading Week which was at the beginning of August.  I'm definitely not one of these bloggers that makes something in the morning and posts about it in the afternoon!



We learned to make these lovely daisies.  They are made using 8mm Swarovski pearls in the centre, we brick stitched around them using size 11/0 delicas which are cylindrical beads so sit together really nicely.  I couldn't make my mind up which colours to use, so used them both!  The daisies weren't too difficult, but were quite time consuming and I only got these three done in the class.



You might be able to see the loop on the right.  In the pattern there is a loop on each end of the bracelet and it is fastened with a ribbon.  This is really not a look that I like, so I decided to put the loop on one end and make a toggle for the other.



I made a toggle using the delicas and following instructions in one of Beth Stone's excellent books.  I much prefer it like this.



Luckily the toggle fits nicely through the loop and neither is too big.



The class sample had 6 flowers, but was too tight for me, even though I have quite small wrists.  I made 7 flowers and it has enough dangle in it.



I have to confess.  The class may have been in August, but I didn't actually finish this until the end of September!  At least I got it done though!

9 comments:

margaret said...

Such a pretty bracelet

Pamela said...

This is very pretty!

D1-D2 said...

I wouldn't worry about when you finish it so long as you did :) I still haven't finished the bead embroidery class piece I took in August. I really should get on that :P

Rachel said...

Better late than never, and it turned out well!

Jane said...

I do like the colours you've chosen, a good statement piece

Anonymous said...

Stuff gets done when it gets done!! I don't even want to think how long some of my projects have been hanging around for! Love those sea greens and aquas and it's a lovely finish.

Unknown said...

Very pretty, lovely colours too xcx

Sarah in Stitches said...

It's lovely! You make awesome jewelry, Wendy :D

ACBeads said...

It's a gorgeous flower bracelet! I much prefer the clasp you've choosen than to use ribbon. You are so lucky to have met Kerrie Slade, she's such a talented lady! I've made the poppy she has designed and it's gorgeous too, but like you, sometimes I get behind in blogging my makes. Excellent job!