Friday 10 February 2017

Sashiko with a difference

A couple of weeks ago I spent a Saturday at a workshop by the Living Threads Group.  It was a little sad as, of course, mum was supposed to be there with me.  The class was Sashiko with a difference - Hitomezashi.

Hitomezashi is similar to Sashiko, however where Sashiko is done by scooping several stitches onto a needle, Hitomezashi has each stitch stab-stitched individually.  


Using some squares of calico that I found amongst mum's stash and perle 5 cotton, I ironed a square of interfacing on the back (sorry, didn't think to take a photo).  To do this method, you usually need to mark out a grid on the rear, however the tutor, Gilli Theoritoff, had some smocking dots available for purchase. These were great.  You just iron them on the back and the dots are there ready for stitching.

The first example, above, shows 4 different patterns, each building on the last.  Starting with the simple running stitch, then forming them into crosses, then adding stitches diagonally.  I chose to use coloured threads rather than sticking to the standard blue/white combo.


I had a go at two different patterns above, one with single diagonal lines, the second with double lines.  I really like this pattern.  It's such a meditative embroidery method and the samples worked up pretty quickly.


The pattern above involves whipping some of the stitches.  The tutor had loads of examples and also had a copy of The Sashiko Sourcebook which has more examples.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these samples, though I think I have one more square prepared with the smocking dots.  I may make them into pouches.  As always with Living Threads workshops, the workshop was well taught and good fun.  I'll have to look out for more now I don't have mum on workshop-watch any more.

  (here is a tutorial by Sake Puppets if you're interested in this stitching method)

16 comments:

Pamela said...

I Ike this. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I will check it out.

Rhona said...

These look wonderful! I'm off to check out the tutorial...thanks for the link :)

Sandra :) said...

WOW that's a really pretty form of embroidery - it would be perfect for a pouch, or for a panel in a drawstring gift bag or a tote :)

D1-D2 said...

I've seen examples of this on Instagram by Japanese stitchers. I assumed it was Sashiko as it was very similar. Thanks for the link :)

Rachel said...

The patterns are quite charming, aren't they!

Kerryp77 said...

Really lovely samplers. Love the section with the yellow thread

Sheryl said...

Lovely work Wendy and great help from the ready made dots! I´m going to follow the link too. thank you.

Ellie Foster said...

Beautiful work, Wendy. I hope you find a suitable project to show these off.
Best wishes
Ellie

margaret said...

It must have been tough for you the first class without Mum well done. Liking that you have used other colours for this li looks very good and yes needs to be makee into something not put into a drawer as a sample.

Anonymous said...

these are all very pretty Wendy - well done!

Anonymous said...

I love your use of colour and the patterns are lovely. Lots of blocks like that would make an amazing quilt!

Cath said...

Beautifully stitched. Very interesting technique - love the way the patterns build up. The transfer dots are a great idea.

Christine B said...

These are beautiful Wendy... love the look of them all! Christine x

Jane said...

Love these, great to see the top one with the different stages. The colour arrangement really works too

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thank you for showing and telling!

Sarah in Stitches said...

These are so cool! Great color choices. Glad you had a good time!